STARBASE 2.0 combines STEM activities with a relationship-rich, after-school environment to provide a link for youth making the transition from elementary to middle school. It extends the positive impact of STARBASE through an after-school mentoring approach which solidifies students’ attachment to and engagement with school. This program is available in the Beavercreek City School district, at both Ankeney Middle School and Coy Middle School.
STARBASE 2.0 is highly structured and intends to help support school goals, provide safe environments for students, and improve student-teacher relationships while empowering schools.
All parties involved in STARBASE 2.0 (students, schools, and STEM mentors) benefit from the program.
Wright-Patt’s STARBASE 2.0 program …
- is a school-based, after school program
- targets 6th grade students
- is run with a team mentoring approach: 1-3 STEM mentors and 4-8 student mentees
- mentors can include military personnel, teachers, college students, and community volunteers
- meets 4 hours per month, during the majority of the school year
- focuses on STEM Projects, Goal Setting, and Team Building Activities
- goal is to foster peer, mentor, and school relationships
Benefits for participating youth:
- increased STEM interest and knowledge
- reduced high-risk behavior
- increased engagement with school
- increased career awareness
Email for more information.